Yes or No result today
THE results of Australia’s same-sex marriage survey will be released today, with the latest polling suggesting “Yes” voters will win in a landslide.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics will release the Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey results at 10am, with the figures broken down into Yes/No results and participation rates by electoral divisions, states, gender and age groups.
A Newspoll released by The Australian yesterday found 63 per cent of those polled had voted yes, leaving 37 per cent voting no. The survey of 1600 people was carried out at the weekend.
Caity Ellett, who held a wedding in Geelong with her wife Sian in 2015, said it was unbelievable same-sex marriage was not yet legalised in Australia.
“I think anything that has the word ‘ equality’ in it, we shouldn’t be debating at all,” Ms Ellett said. “I think it’s ridiculous.”
“I feel like the people it will really affect are the vulnerable, I think that’s what's really important.”
Ms Ellett said Australia’s lack of same-sex marriage laws had contributed to her and her partner’s decision to move to New Zealand this year.
“There were lots of reasons to move home, but moving to a country where we’re valued as equal definitely played a part — it’s a different feeling,” she said. “I noticed as soon as we started visiting New Zealand, it’s subtle but it’s actually quite a big difference being acknowledged that way.”
Geelong yes campaigners were yesterday confident they would be hearing good news.
“I’m adamant it’s going to be a yes,” Geelong Rainbow Inc vice-president Sarah Hathway said.
“I just can’t foresee how it could not be.
“I think the rainbow community needs to celebrate that because it is a win.”
Ms Hathway said the LGBTIQ community would celebrate a win, but did not expect the Government to act quickly on legalising same-sex marriage.
“I don’t think anything will be getting passed this year,” she said.
Ms Hathway also raised concerns that Bills being put forward by conservatives were aiming to dampen the impact of a yes result.
She said an alternative Bill put forward by Liberal Senator James Paterson — which would give businesses the right to refuse to provide services for same-sex weddings — would legalise discrimination.
Caity and Sian Ellett at their 2015 celebration in Geelong.