Dangerous driver on 40 charges
A LARGE-scale police operation involving the air wing resulted in the arrest of a 22year-old man who is facing 40 charges.
The arrest came after a week-long operation led by Geelong’s Criminal Investigation Unit. Detective Senior Sergeant Mark Guthrie said police started tracking the alleged offender following reports of an aggravated burglary in Rippleside last week.
Police allege the man stole a white Mercedes sedan from the property and spent days driving the vehicle at dangerous, high speeds throughout Geelong. They allege the driver put first responders in danger.
Sen-Sergeant Guthrie said the police air wing unit tracked the car in Geelong’s north at about midnight on Saturday.
Police allege the offender was followed for more than an hour to a North Geelong address at about 1am. The man was arrested during an alleged attempted break-in and charged with 40 offences.
He was remanded in custody and appeared at the Geelong Magistrates’ Court on Monday. He did not apply for bail and has been remanded to appear before court at a later date.