Mof­fat’s two en­sure an Aus­trals win

Geraldton Guardian - - Sport - Shane Rut­ter

A-grade women

Aus­trals de­feated Swans in a tidy 3-1 fin­ish at the week­end.

Anna Mof­fat capped off a good game up for­ward with two goals, her first open­ing, scor­ing af­ter 13 min­utes.

Mof­fat worked well with her team­mates as they put pres­sure on the Swans de­fend­ers and her sec­ond goal was four min­utes later.

Aus­trals were look­ing for a win to carry mo­men­tum into the fi­nals, while Swans were look­ing to end their sea­son with a win.

Tayla Kunesch played well for Swans and both teams had op­por­tu­ni­ties to score.

Veteran Kate Tonkin’s pass found Tea­gan Mundy on the top of the cir­cle and the lead was 3-nil.

Swans hit back af­ter a Jenny Puglia short cor­ner found the back of the Aus­trals’ goal 16 min­utes into the half.

While there was time for both teams to ex­tend the scor­ing, the score re­mained 3-1.

Cardinals’ A-grade women took their sea­son tally of goals to 101 in their 2-0 win over Murchi­son.

Both these teams will be in fi­nals ac­tion this week but Murchi­son slipped a po­si­tion on the lad­der af­ter Saints shared the points with Yacht Club.

Saints’ su­pe­rior goal dif­fer­ence put them in sec­ond place on the lad­der and they will take on Cardinals in their semi­fi­nal, while Murchi­son and Aus­trals will play in the other semi.

In fi­nals this week, Cardinals take on Saints and Murchi­son take on Aus­trals.

A-grade men

Rovers took on Murchi­son know­ing their fate was in their hands.

One loss and their sea­son would come to an end. They started like a team hun­gry for a win, with Jake Quin­ton hav­ing the first chance of the game.

The open­ing 10 min­utes showed both teams were keen to try to get be­hind the de­fence us­ing over­head passes.

Murchi­son made Rovers goal­keeper Kyle Harvey work with their short cor­ner af­ter 16 min­utes.

Not to be out­done at the other end, Murchi­son’s Kyle Kelly was putting on a dis­play of his own.

In the later part of the half, Murchi­son went on the at­tack with field goals and short cor­ner op­por­tu­ni­ties but the score re­mained 0- 0 at half-time.

With 35 min­utes left for Rovers to keep their fi­nals hopes alive, the team opened the half with a short cor­ner be­fore Murchi­son went on the at­tack.

At 18 min­utes in, James Van Niftrik put Rovers in front from a short cor­ner.

The in­ten­sity from both teams in­creased, with the Rovers de­fend­ers fo­cused and the Murchi­son for­wards keen to up­set the party.

Rovers scored a sec­ond goal four min­utes later through a Stu­art Beros shot from the top of the cir­cle.

Jay­den Valenti’s goal-line save kept the score at 2-0 but that soon be­came 2-1 when Sean Ch­ester scored for Murchi­son.

Rovers had leap-frogged Aus­trals into the four and into fi­nals but had a ner­vous wait ahead of them.

Rovers’ win meant Aus­trals needed a win against first-placed Ca­su­als to re­gain fourth place on the lad­der. They fell short, with the final score at 3-3.

Ca­su­als opened the scor­ing af­ter Brad De­lane’s shot 20 min­utes into the game found the back of the net.

Just seven min­utes later it was all even again af­ter Amos Steiger scored from a short cor­ner.

This started a four-minute burst that saw a goal from Rhys Allen give Causals back the lead.

Cooper Prun­ster then made it 2-2 just be­fore the break.

Ca­su­als opened the sec­ond half with a short cor­ner op­por­tu­nity and Aus­trals were re­duced to 10 men for five min­utes.

Aus­trals hit the lead 10 min­utes in when Stieger scored a sec­ond from a short cor­ner. Aus­trals fans were look­ing for a vic­tory with 25 min­utes fur­ther to play.

Dar­ren She­p­ley made it 3-3 at the 20-minute mark and Aus­trals needed to find a way to score.

Their chances were im­proved when Ca­su­als were cut to 10 play­ers with seven min­utes re­main­ing in the game.

Ca­su­als held off Aus­trals, and late in the game when Aus­trals were also play­ing with re­duced num­bers, their fi­nals chances were out of reach.

Third-placed Yacht Club de­feated sec­ond-placed Saints 3-2 in the other week­end match.

The re­sults lead to no change in the lad­der, but the win will give Yacht Club some con­fi­dence go­ing into next week’s semi­fi­nal against Rovers. In the other final Ca­su­als will take on Saints.


Semi­fi­nals were played last week and in the boys’ J10/12, Rovers sea­son came to an end when they went down 5-1 to Yacht Club.

It was a closer con­test in the other semi­fi­nal in which first­placed Saints de­feated Aus­trals 4-3. This week Aus­trals take on Yacht Club on Wed­nes­day at 6.30pm.

In Boys’ J7/9, top-placed Saints beat Ca­su­als 1-0 win, while third­placed Yacht Club had a big win over Aus­trals 7-1. The pre­lim­i­nary final is be­tween Ca­su­als and Yacht Club on Fri­day at 5pm.

In girls’ J10/12 Murchi­son up­set Saints 2-1 to move to the pre­lim­i­nary final, while Cardinals booked a grand final spot with a 4-1 win over Aus­trals.

This week Murchi­son will take on Aus­trals on Wed­nes­day at 5.30pm.

In girls’ J7/9, af­ter fin­ish­ing the game at 2-2, Aus­trals and Murchi­son played out one-on-ones to de­ter­mine a win­ner, with Aus­trals com­ing out on top 6-5.

Aus­trals go straight through to the grand final, while Murchi­son get a sec­ond chance when they take on Cardinals, who beat Saints 1-0 in the other semi­fi­nal. That game will be played on Fri­day at 4pm.

Aus­trals player Chloe Spence and Swans player Stacey Cor­den crouch low for the ball.

Pic­tures: Arc­tic Moon Pho­tog­ra­phy

Saints player Matt O'Neil with Yacht Club’s Ryan Trump at his heels.

Saints player Adam Bur­rows and Yacht Club’s Fraser Is­mail vie for the ball.

Aus­trals’ Hay­ley Hal­ton, closely watched by Jaya Piper from Swans.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.