Sex-abuser protest

Geraldton Guardian - - Front Page - Francesca Mann

The mother of a 16-yearold girl has voiced her con­cern af­ter it was an­nounced se­rial sex of­fender “DAL”, who was due to be re­leased into Ger­ald­ton, will be al­lowed to live in Perth tem­po­rar­ily.

Tracey Wild was one of many con­cerned com­mu­nity mem­bers who spoke out last week about the planned re­lease of a 67-year-old man with an

hor­rific of­fend­ing his­tory. The man, known only as DAL, was granted per­mis­sion by Supreme Court Jus­tice Gail Archer to live with his part­ner in Ger­ald­ton.

Af­ter his in­tended ad­dress be­came pub­licly known, the De­part­ment of Jus­tice con­firmed the man would be ac­com­mo­dated tem­po­rar­ily at a court-ap­proved lo­ca­tion.

Ms Wild said although the de­ci­sion was a win for Ger­ald­ton, it was a loss for Perth.

“What is it go­ing to take be­fore they re­alise this per­son needs to stay in jail?” she said.

“It only takes one slip-up; why should any com­mu­nity be vul­ner­a­ble to that?

“This is ab­so­lutely with­out a doubt the wrong de­ci­sion.”

The court-ap­proved lo­ca­tion has been sup­pressed by the Supreme Court.

A spokesper­son from the De­part­ment of Jus­tice said court-ap­proved ac­com­mo­da­tion took into con­sid­er­a­tion a per­son’s prior of­fences, their su­per­vi­sion or­der re­quire­ments and sup­port needs to pre­vent po­ten­tial high-risk sit­u­a­tions.

The man will be sub­ject to an eight-year su­per­vi­sion or­der con­sist­ing of 47 spe­cific con­di­tions, in­clud­ing wear­ing a GPS track­ing de­vice.

Ear­lier this week, Ger­ald­ton MLA Ian Blayney pre­sented a pe­ti­tion in Par­lia­ment urg­ing the Gov­ern­ment to over­turn the court’s de­ci­sion and to keep the man in jail in­def­i­nitely.

The pe­ti­tion, pre­sented on Tues­day and signed by 3400 Ger­ald­ton res­i­dents, ar­gued the man should not be re­leased, given the ad­vice of State lawyers and the De­part­ment of Com­mu­ni­ties that he re­main in jail.

“I ap­pre­ci­ate the ef­fort peo­ple put in to round up that num­ber of sig­na­tures in five days,” Mr Blayney said. “It tends to un­der­line the level of con­cern there was in the com­mu­nity.

“While I am very pleased that this out­come has been achieved for Ger­ald­ton, I hold con­cerns it may be­come a prob­lem for an­other com­mu­nity.

“I think it would cause a lot less dis­rup­tion if he did (stay in jail), but my feel­ing is since all the peo­ple who look af­ter this is­sue are in Perth, it’s prob­a­bly a bet­ter place for him to be.”

The man com­mit­ted his first of­fence against his 12-year-old sis­ter-in-law in 1975, for which he was fined $200.

Af­ter abusing his daugh­ter for sev­eral years, the man re­ceived a min­i­mum of a 21⁄2-year jail term in 1987.

On the drive from prison af­ter the 1987 term, the man abused his seven-year-old nephew, and con­tin­ued to abuse him for two years.

The man was jailed in­def­i­nitely in 2003 af­ter plead­ing guilty to 37 se­ri­ous sex of­fences.

He re­ceived a con­tin­u­ing de­ten­tion or­der in 2015, which was re­scinded by Jus­tice Archer late last month.

Tracey Wild

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.