Man bailed on child sex charges
A 34-year-old man charged with four counts of sexually penetrating a child has been granted bail in a Geraldton court, despite being strongly opposed by police.
The man, who can’t be named for legal reasons, appeared on Thursday and is also charged with seven counts of indecently dealing with a child, two counts of common assault and two counts of breaching protective bail conditions. The charges date back as far as 2015.
Police prosecutor Senior Constable Lauren Cameron said bail had been strongly opposed by police during each of the man’s appearances.
A home detention option was also ruled out by Adult Community Corrections, which deemed the man’s parents’ house unsuitable because it would not support the required internet systems.
Magistrate Donna Webb said to overcome the technical deficits, she would place the man on protective bail with a 24 hour curfew.
“Bail is a possibility because the complainants no longer reside in Geraldton,” she said.
The man was granted bail with a $20,000 personal undertaking, $10,000 surety and orders not to contact the complainants or leave Geraldton.
Ms Webb said the man would have to be careful to abide by the conditions. He will appear in the same court again later this month.