Celebrity designer’s tips
A general rule of thumb is to try to use as much natural light as you can, whether that means adding windows or doors to a room, or making solid surfaces more transparent.
Here are 10 more rules to follow to keep your space properly illuminated.
1. Decide what mood you wish to create and illuminate a room accordingly.
2. Create multiple light sources in larger spaces. A big space may require a table lamp, floor lamp and a ceiling pendant.
3. Use task lighting, especially in areas such as kitchens.
4. Consider placing some of your light fixtures on dimmers.
5. Purchase fixtures that require multiple bulbs.
6. Purchase high-wattage bulbs.
7. Don’t overdo it. Avoid a space cluttered with too many floor or table lamps.
8. When possible, add recessed lighting. This is always easier when building or renovating, but it can go a long way in creating a space that is evenly lit.
9. Opt for energy-efficient bulbs.
10. Try to illuminate hallways, pathways and stairwells with sufficient light for safety.
Visit cathyhobbs.com for more interior design expertise.