Hospital to get another $10m
FUNDS FOR UPGRADES, SUPPLY OF FIRE SAFETY NEEDS
ROYAL Perth Hospital will receive another $10 million for improvements despite more than $3 million being spent on fire safety measures in the past two years.
The State Budget, handed down on September 7, showed a total of $10 million had been reallocated from the Bentley Hospital redevelopment project to meet priority fire safety needs at Royal Perth Hospital.
An East Metropolitan Health Service spokeswoman said the additional $10 million would be used for “various upgrades or additional supply of fire safety needs”.
She confirmed that during the past two years “approximately $3.578 million has been spent on fire safety upgrades” at RPH.
“These upgrades have included additional fire sprinklers, hydrants and warning systems, in addition to fire door improvements,” the spokeswoman said.
“Patient, visitor and staff safety is a priority at RPH.
“Our objective is to continually improve fire safety which is the basis of the current $10 million project.”
The spokeswoman did not release details of the project.
She said the most recent fire reported at RPH was in a storage area in October last year.
“The fire was so small that it was able to be extinguished by staff using a portable CO2 fire extinguisher, in line with standard fire management protocol,” she said.
She said “the money was previously allocated as a provisional amount to be spent at Bentley Hospital, pending the outcome of a scope of works which would have been developed in a business case following consultation with all stakeholders through various project working groups”.