Alcoa workers back on job
More than 1500 Alcoa workers returned to work yesterday after 52 days of industrial action came to a tentative resolution last Friday.
An Alcoa spokeswoman said clauses had been added or amended to reflect the company’s revised commitment to job security, including involuntary redundancies.
AWU WA branch secretary Mike Zoetbrood said the union members agreed to return to work from Monday after securing improved job security provisions in the new agreement with the mining giant.
“The agreement still needs to go to a formal vote and was not voted on (on Friday),” Mr Zoetbrood said.
Mr Zoetbrood said he was proud of the actions of union members throughout the strike at the Wagerup, Pinjarra and Kwinana refineries, the Huntley and Willowdale bauxite mines and the Bunbury Port.
“There were a lot of dark periods over the past 52 days when we could have wavered,” Mr Zoetbrood said. “But we held the line and this is the pay off."
AWU WA branch president Andy Hacking said the result was a victory for common sense.
“All along, we made it clear that we were not seeking to improve or extend existing pay and conditions,” Mr Hacking said.
“We just wanted security to keep doing our jobs without having to constantly look over our shoulders,” Mr Hacking said.
Alcoa chairman and managing director Michael Parker said he looked forward to resolving the matter as quickly as possible for the sake of all parties
“Now we have addressed job security, we encourage the AWU to endorse the EBA,” Mr Parker said.
The revised EBA includes a commitment from Alcoa that it will not make employees forcibly redundant by outsourcing their work or replacing them with limited-term or casual employees.