Muffin in a mug
Get a head start in the morning with this easy, high-fibre mug muffin!
Berry breakfast muffin in a mug
Serves 1 Cost per serve $3.25 Time to make 15 min
3 tablespoons wholemeal flour 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts 1 tablespoon poppy seeds ½ teaspoon baking powder 1 large egg 1 ripe banana, mashed 1 teaspoon honey ½ cup mixed berries (thawed, if frozen) 2 tablespoons reduced-fat plain yoghurt
1 Combine flour, nuts, seeds and the baking powder in a medium bowl. Add egg and beat the flour mixture with a fork. Stir in banana and honey.
2 Pour into a microwave-safe large mug. Add mixed berries on top of mixture. Microwave for 30 seconds on high. If the centre of the muffin looks wet, microwave another 30 seconds.
3 Set aside the breakfast muffin for 5 minutes to allow it to cool. Serve with plain yoghurt.
• Start microwaving as soon as you add the berries, to prevent them from sinking to the bottom.
• You can replace the tablespoon of poppy seeds with flax, chia or sunflower seeds.
• You can use any type of nuts in place of walnuts.
• The yoghurt will help to cool down the muffin, but be aware that it will still be extremely hot coming out of the microwave.
• A large mug with straight sides will give the best results.