Not-so-good vi­bra­tions

Herald Sun - Motoring - - Ask Smithy -

My 41/ year-old Volk­swa­gen Tiguan has de­vel­oped a vi­bra­tion un­der ac­cel­er­a­tion. The dealer has had the car for more than three weeks and has re­placed the in­jec­tors and the diff with­out fix­ing the prob­lem and has called in VW. So far I am­sat­is­fied with what’s been done but what should I be pay­ing for, given the time spent on the car and the parts they have re­placed which haven’t fixed the prob­lem? Should I only be pay­ing for the parts that fixed the prob­lem? Also what if they can’t fix the prob­lem or won’t spend more time on the is­sue, what would be fair and rea­son­able op­tions?

Liza Sin­natt, email

Be­fore they fit­ted the parts, par­tic­u­larly when they’re ex­pen­sive ones like the diff, they should have sought your ap­proval to pro­ceed. If they have, and you have agreed to fit the parts, you are li­able to pay for them, even though they might not have fixed the prob­lem. If they haven’t got your per­mis­sion to go ahead then you have grounds for re­fus­ing to pay for the parts. If they refuse to spend any more time on your car, or can’t re­solve the prob­lem, you’re re­ally left with no al­ter­na­tive but to seek an­other re­pairer who will try to solve the prob­lem.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.