Sec­ond ar­rest for Tube train bomb


BRI­TISH po­lice were last night search­ing a home in the sub­urb of Stan­well 25km south­west of Lon­don linked to the ar­rest of an­other sus­pect in the sub­way bomb­ing.

The 21-year-old man from Houn­slow was taken into cus­tody un­der the Ter­ror­ism Act — the sec­ond ar­rest over Fri­day’s at­tack on a Tube train that in­jured 30 peo­ple.

Bri­tish po­lice had ear­lier searched the home of a pen­sioner cou­ple who foster refugees, af­ter ar­rest­ing an 18-yearold man at the Dover ferry port. The teen’s iden­tity has not been re­leased.

Counter-ter­ror­ism of­fi­cers and special forces troops con­verged on the house in Sun­bury-on-Thames, in Sur­rey, six hours af­ter ar­rest­ing the teen.

He was be­ing ques­tioned in Lon­don as foren­sic of­fi­cers searched the ter­race house owned by Ron­ald and Pene­lope Jones, who have re­ceived hon­ours from the Queen for fos­ter­ing 268 chil­dren.

Across Lon­don, armed of­fi­cers pa­trolled the streets, and se­cu­rity was beefed up at ma­jor events, in­clud­ing Pre­mier League soc­cer matches, af­ter in­tel­li­gence chiefs warned an­other at­tack might be im­mi­nent.

Be­fore the po­lice raid on the house, neigh­bours in the sub­ur­ban street south­west of Lon­don were or­dered out of their homes by bal­a­clava-clad armed of­fi­cers.

A lo­cal woman de­scribed the mo­ment she saw heav­ily armed po­lice in her street.

“I lit­er­ally came out of my house and I saw three men,” she said.

“As I came out, I saw the back of one and as he turned around I saw his gun and I im­me­di­ately put my hands up.”

Mr Jones, 88, and Mrs Jones, 71, were de­scribed by neigh­bours as “big-hearted” peo­ple who had taken in many vul­ner­a­ble chil­dren.

They were men­tioned in a re­cent ar­ti­cle about fos­ter­ing, in which they said they had taken eight chil­dren from war zones such as Syria, Iraq and Eritrea.

Neigh­bour Ser­ena Bar­ber said the pair now fos­tered two and one of them had been ar­rested two weeks ago.

“All I know is that they have two boys at the mo­ment — both are for­eign,” she said.

“One is very quiet and po­lite, the other who is 18 is aw­ful. I know about two weeks ago he was ar­rested by po­lice at Par­sons Green — for what I don’t know — and re­turned back to Penny and Ron.”

Of­fi­cers ap­pre­hended the teenager at 7.50am on Satur­day lo­cal time in Dover, where boats reg­u­larly leave for Calais and Dunkirk, in France.

Tourist Daniel Vaselicu said the man ap­peared “nor­mal, not fight­ing” as he spoke with po­lice of­fi­cers.

Mean­while, Britain’s Na­tional Health Ser­vice said all but one of the 30 in­jured in the crude bomb at­tack had been re­leased from hos­pi­tal.

Most had suf­fered burns af­ter the home­made bomb det­o­nated on a Tube train as it pulled in to Par­sons Green sta­tion on Fri­day morn­ing.

Pic­ture: AP

Po­lice search a house in Sun­buryon-Thames yes­ter­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.