Trum­pet­ing lily dan­ger

Hills Gazette (Kalamunda) - - NEWS -

TRUM­PET lilies are in full bloom in the Shire of Mun­dar­ing and de­spite their beauty are poi­sonous and a de­clared pest in WA.

The white flower with glossy leaves is dan­ger­ous to chil­dren and pets if swal­lowed.

Shire en­vi­ron­ment and hor­ti­cul­ture su­per­vi­sor David O’Brien said the South African plant, also known as the arum lily, pre­ferred to grow near wet­land and had flour­ished to 1m heights in favourable con­di­tions within the Shire.

“Their large seeds can be spread via flow­ing wa­ter, birds and live­stock. Not only are they toxic to hu­mans and an­i­mals, the lilies crowd out na­tive plants and choke our wa­ter­ways, caus­ing dis­rup­tion to the nat­u­ral wa­ter flow,” he said.

“If an an­i­mal eats the lily, whether they are grow­ing on the prop­erty or in a vase as cut flow­ers, it can lead to se­ri­ous con­se­quences.

“Un­for­tu­nately, some peo­ple pick the lilies to have around their home be­cause they look nice, with­out know­ing they are a poi­sonous weed and po­ten­tial dan­ger to in­quis­i­tive chil­dren and pets.”

Any­one who sus­pects a child has in­gested part of an arum lily should im­me­di­ately call the Poi­sons In­for­ma­tion Cen­tre on 131 126 for ad­vice.

If a pet has eaten part of a lily or is show­ing symp­toms of poi­son­ing, pet own­ers should ur­gently con­tact their vet. Symp­toms can in­clude ir­ri­ta­tion and swelling of the mouth, stom­ach pain, vom­it­ing and di­ar­rhoea.

Mr O’Brien ad­vised res­i­dents to cut off the flower heads be­fore they spread more seeds.

He said man­ual re­moval of the lilies was only ef­fec­tive with younger plants and if all the root frag­ments were re­moved.

Pic­ture: Bruce Hunt www.com­mu­ni­typix.com.au d473587

En­vi­ro­men­tal su­per­vi­sor David O'Brien with trum­pet lilies.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.