MOJITO ICE CREAM
1 bunch mint
2 tsp finely grated lime zest 6 egg yolks
⅔ cup caster sugar 600ml thickened cream ¼ cup Malibu
2 tbsp lime juice
Small mint sprigs and finely
grated lime zest, to garnish
1. If you have an ice cream maker that requires the container to be frozen, freeze it overnight. Finely chop 1 tablespoon mint, put in a small bowl, cover and refrigerate. Put milk, remaining bunch of mint (on stems) and zest in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside to infuse.
2. Put egg yolks and sugar in the small bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 5 minutes until thick and creamy. Discard mint from hot milk then drizzle milk in, whilst beating. Transfer mixture to a large heatproof bowl. Sit bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure bowl doesn’t touch water. Stir constantly until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly. Sit bowl in a large bowl of iced water to chill mixture quickly, or refrigerate for 3-4 hours until well chilled.
3. Whip cream until soft peaks form. Add cream to milk mixture and stir in until combined. Stir in mint, rum and juice. Pour mixture into ice cream maker and churn until a soft serve ice cream consistency forms (for smaller machines, churn in two batches) Transfer ice cream to a suitable container and freeze overnight.
4. Alternatively, to make without an ice cream maker, pour mixture into a metal container and freeze for 2-3 hours until semi-frozen. Spoon mixture into a food processor and process until smooth, pour back into tin and freeze again until semi-frozen. Repeat this process twice more, to reduce ice crystals, then freeze overnight.
5. Serve scoops garnished with mint leaves and lime zest.
ABOVE LEFT, FROM BACK: Stone bowl (used as pot), from $64, Water Tiger. ‘Suna’ plate, $16.95, The Bay Tree. Napkin, $49/set of 4, and forks, $16/set of 4, all The Lost and Found Department. LEFT, FROM BACK: Weck jars (with lids), $6.50 each, spoons, $16/set of 4, napkin in Plum, $49/set of 4 and pot plant in Green, $25/small, all The Lost and Found Department. Tiles, $10.95 each, Di Lorenzo Tiles. Stockists, page 168 MOJITO ICE CREAM