Finding an idea
The coloured image is the first one I send to the ImagineFX team. Looking back, I realise my first sketch wouldn’t have worked at all. I think it’s a mixture of pressure and warming up to the subject. Then I do three thumbnails that are a closer match to the assignment. The bottom-left image is chosen, so I continue with this idea.
Working with the layout
I change the sword to a flute at the request of the team. If you compare this image with the final one you’ll see that the pose of her arms is slightly different: I need to make more space for some cover text. I actually prefer how the arms look when they’re higher up – it makes for a more dynamic pose. But this solution is a lot better for the cover!