History behind the hall
IT MAY come as a surprise, but the West Street Hall was originally home to the first women’s bowls club in Queensland.
The Isis and District Ladies Bowls Club was formed by women after men decided not to allow women in their club.
The land was donated to the women’s bowling club in 1951 by the former Isis Shire Council to construct a five lane bowling green, and the clubhouse was completed in 1955.
In 1992, the women’s bowls club disbanded when the women were encouraged by men to join the men’s club the Isis Bowling Club.
The club house was then used as the Isis and District Neighbourhood Centre until it was relocated in the main street at the old ambulance building.
For the past 10 years, the hall has been used as a meeting room and dance practice area for the Isis Multicultural Group.
The Isis Multicultural Group was founded in 1995 after it became apparent that a considerable number of ethnic women were living in the district.
These women had immigrated to Australia and were feeling isolated.
With this in mind, the group was formed to help these women adjust to life in this country.
Today, the group continues to meet regularly at the hall.
1950s: The West Street Hall was originally home to the Childers & District Ladies Bowling Club.