Barrage of abuse in court
Toddler abduction case: security tightened for 45-year-old’s second appearance
ABUSE was hurled at the man accused of abducting a Childers toddler as he made his second appearance in court over the incident.
Eden James Kane, 45, appeared in Bundaberg Magistrates Court on Thursday after the matter had been adjourned to clarify whether or not he had been offered legal representation.
Kane gave a thumbs-up and nodded to a woman believed to be his mother as he entered the courtroom, but he faced a great deal of hostility from supporters of the alleged victim’s family.
During the hearing, for which security had been noticeably bolstered, barrister Nick Larter rejected Kane’s earlier claims there had been no duty lawyer available.
“I telephoned the watch house (Wednesday) morning to see if Mr Kane required representation and I was told that he did not and would be represented (by another party),” he said.
Mr Larter said statements that may have been made by Kane to police or at his court hearing on Wednesday could be the subject of Section 130 of the Evidence Act, when the matter reached a higher court.
This part of the Act involves the exclusion of admissible prosecution evidence that may be seen as prejudicial.
When asked if an application about the case could be made in closed court, Magistrate Deb Vasta said she would prefer not to.
“I think to close the court would just fuel speculation about this matter,” Mrs Vasta said.
Mr Larter said Kane would not be applying for bail at this stage and the matter was adjourned to June 12.
Police prosecutor Senior Constable Donna Sperling said the matter would take some time to prepare.
“We’d ask for at least eight weeks as it’s going to be quite an extensive brief,” Snr Const Sperling said.