Holiday fitness tips
IN THE spirit of the Twelve Days of Christmas song, CQUniversity’s physical activity and exercise science specialists have pitched in to produce their top 12 tips for the coming festive season.
1. Indulge in some activity before indulging in festive foods and drinks.
2. Aim to spend at least 30 minutes a day on physical activity and if you can do 10,000 steps a day, you’re a champ! Go to www.10000steps.org.au for details.
3. Don’t give up. Every day is a new start.
4. Try scheduling time and planning specifics of what physical activity you are going to do.
5. Why not find an activity buddy?
6. Plan to spend some of your Christmas holidays doing outdoors activities with your family.
7. Enjoy some festive foods and drinks but portion control and moderation is the key to not overdoing it.
8. Have your snack or meal at least two hours before physical activity (why not have a banana or an apple?).
9. Plan your physical activity for late afternoon or early evening to avoid the possibility of heat exhaustion and sunburn.
10. If being active outdoors at night, don’t forget to wear light-coloured or reflective clothing for safety.
11. Keep well hydrated before, during and after physical activity. Water is just fine for most types of low-intensity or moderate physical activity such as brisk walking.
12. Before embarking on a new physical activity, check your general health status with your GP or via the new online Adult Pre-exercise Screening System fitnessriskmanagement.com.au/screening-tool/ to minimise your risk of injury.
HEALTH: CQUniversity’s physical activity and exercise science team.