$250k re­ward to find man miss­ing near Childers since 2000

Isis Town and Country - - Front Page - By SHERELE MOODY

MATES brought Marc Mi­etus to Queens­land 15 years ago.

Ear­lier in the week, Marc’s mys­te­ri­ous dis­ap­pear­ance – and pos­si­ble mur­der – brought his fa­ther to tears.

Kris Mi­etus’s emo­tions over­flowed as he re­vealed the heartache of not know­ing what hap­pened to his son who went miss­ing near Bund­aberg just be­fore Aus­tralia Day in 2000.

Mr Mi­etus and homi­cide de­tec­tives be­lieve the 22-year-old was killed – pos­si­bly over drugs.

They hope a $250,000 re­ward will help bring clo­sure to Marc’s fam­ily.

Raised with his two sis­ters on the out­skirts of Mel­bourne, the young man grew up with ev­ery­thing a kid could want.

He was a tal­ented footy and ten­nis player who also ex­celled at golf and ap­peared to have the world at his feet.

But a dark de­scent hit as his mother moved out and his shot at an AFL ca­reer was torn apart.

“There’s two key things that hap­pened in his life that prob­a­bly set him in a di­rec­tion that the fam­ily wasn’t re­ally im­pressed with,” his fa­ther said.

“His mother walked out when he was 15 and at the same time he was train­ing with the North­ern Knights, which is the next step into the AFL, but they re­jected him.

“That’s one thing Marc couldn’t han­dle – re­jec­tion.

“It set him off on the wrong path and he was hang­ing out with the wrong peo­ple – he shouldn’t have been smoking mar­i­juana.”

Marc ap­peared to pick up the pieces of his life as he be­gan a plumb­ing ap­pren­tice­ship.

But his new ca­reer wasn’t enough to keep him grounded.

Just days after the clock ticked over on the new mil­len­nium, Marc be­gan the two-day jour­ney to Queens­land, pick­ing up a hitch-hiker in NSW.

The pas­sen­ger of­fered him a place to stay at a Booyal prop­erty, which he gladly ac­cepted.

A few days later he rang his fa­ther, des­per­ate for money.

“After all the as­sis­tance (we’d given him) I had to make a very hard decision,” Mr Mi­etus said.

“I said ‘Marc when you left, you went out on your own and it’s up to you now to get on with your life’.”

On Jan­uary 26, 2000, a neigh­bour saw the Vic­to­rian lad get into a ve­hi­cle with a group of peo­ple at the Booyal farm.

“After 15 years the fam­ily is very des­per­ate for clo­sure,” Mr Mi­etus said.

“I’ve got to be hon­est, I’ve re­signed my­self to the fact that he has prob­a­bly met foul play. “We’re after clo­sure.” Su­per­in­ten­dent Steve Ho­la­han, of the state’s Homi­cide Group, said Marc was prob­a­bly mur­dered.

“We cer­tainly be­lieve that Marc may have met with foul play,” he said.

“We be­lieve there are peo­ple who have de­fin­i­tive knowl­edge of what hap­pened to Marc on that day – they are the peo­ple we’re very in­ter­ested in speak­ing to.”


Miss­ing man Marc Mi­etus, pic­tured with his sis­ter Prue.


Marc Mi­etus was last seen on Jan­uary 26, 2000 at Booyal. As the 15th an­niver­sary of his dis­ap­pear­ance nears, po­lice and fam­ily mem­bers are ap­peal­ing for any­one within the com­mu­nity with in­for­ma­tion re­gard­ing this case to come for­ward.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.