SIZZLING SUMMER HOLIDAY QUIZ
1. Does the Dalai Lama live in India or Indonesia?
2. Over 200 landmarks in 60 countries, including the Eiffel Tower, the Empire State Building and the Egyptian pyramids were recently lit up in blue to mark the 70th anniversary of which international organisation?
3. The Henley-on-Todd “regatta” is held in which Northern Territory town?
4. Is George W Bush or Bill Clinton older?
5. Australia played against which country in the finals of 2015 cricket, netball and rugby world cups?
6. A 2015 book made claims about which US presidential candidate, including violent assaults on her husband, that she may be bisexual and her daughter may not be her husband’s biological child?
7. Justin Trudeau was recently elected prime minister of which country?
8. Is wood or wool the traditional symbol for the fifth anniversary?
9. The Thompson submachine gun is commonly known as the (a) Tommo gun (b) Tommy gun (c) Tom’s gun?
10. Shane Warne’s ODI shirt number was (a) 13 (b) 23 (c) 33?
11. The correct spelling of the sea in the Atlantic Ocean is (a) Caribbean (b) Carribean (c) Carribbean?
12. How old would superstar Michael Jackson be if he were alive today (a) 47 (b) 57 (c) 67?
13. NaOH is the formula for (a) salt (b) sodium hydroxide (c) baking soda?
14. In which year was the right of hereditary peers to sit and vote in the British House of Lords ended (a) 1989 (b) 1999 (c) 2009?
15. Who recently won his sixth Bathurst 1000?
16. In 2005, Bert Newton quit Network Ten after it axed which long-running show?
17. “We said our goodbyes (ah, the night before). Love was in your eyes (ah, the night before),” are lyrics from which song?
18. The gang of which bushranger shot dead three police officers at Stringybark Creek, Victoria in 1878?
19. Who is the federal minister for women?
20. Thanasi Kokkinakis said that which Australian tennis star was “good for the game” despite his foul-mouth sledging and abuse of umpires?
21. In 1917, Brazil declared war on which European country?
22. Over 50 women have claimed they were victims of abuse by which US comedian?
23. I Honestly Love You was a 1974 hit for which Australian?
24. Lady Barron is in which Australian state/ territory?
25. Dying recently at the age of 81 was which former Test spinner who faced the last ball of the 1960 tied Test at the Gabba?
26. Which Irish-born Hollywood star was the mother of Mia Farrow?
27. Which 1980s’ premier of Western Australia was jailed for seven months in 1994?
28. Over 40 people were killed recently when a coach and truck collided in which European country?
29. Name the author of the 1860s’ novel Little Women.
30. Which horse won the 2015 Melbourne Cup?
31. Which 1862 novel, on which a popular musical is based, was originally published in five volumes and contained 360 chapters and over 2700 pages?
32. President Obama recently issued an order changing the name of Mt McKinley, the highest mountain in the US, to what?
33. In the TV show Are You Being Served?, what was the given name of Mr Humphries?
34. Which canal, opened in 1825, was built to create a navigable water route from New York and the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes?
35. What is the term for the informal bicycle race usually contested in cities and organised by bicycle messengers?
36. Which New Yorker was credited with inventing the first modern electrical air conditioning unit in 1902?
37. The Treaty of Paris (1856) ended which war?
38. Who was British prime minister when Japan surrendered at the end of World War II?
39. In 1953, which US president was aboard the presidential aircraft which narrowly avoided a mid-air collision with an Eastern Airlines plane with the same (8610) call sign?
40. Gina Rinehart recently pledged millions of dollars in sponsorship for the Australian team in which sport?
41. The Thousand Islands, an archipelago of 1864 islands, is in which North American River?
42. Which element was named after New Zealand-born nuclear physicist Ernest Rutherford?
43. Cornelia, Pompeia and Calpurnia were wives of which Roman leader?
44. Blow Up the Pokies was a 2000 song released by which Australian group?
45. In 2015, who was awarded The Don, generally regarded as the most prestigious award in Australian sport?