GUT­TED

Woman, 57, and dog es­cape house fire caused by can­dle

Isis Town and Country - - Front Page - By EMMA REID

A CAN­DLE was the cause of a house fire which erupted early yes­ter­day morn­ing leav­ing a woman shaken and with­out a home to live in.

A po­lice spokes­woman said the woman and her dog were the only ones at the Nelson St ad­dress at the time, and the fire had gone right through the house.

She said the 57-year-old woke to the sound of her fire alarm at about 5am af­ter a cur­tain caught light in one of the liv­ing ar­eas.

“There was sig­nif­i­cant dam­age to the sin­gle-storey Queens­lan­der,” she said.

“The woman is well known in Childers and is very up­set about what has hap­pened.”

A neigh­bour woke to the sound of the crack­ling fire and ran out­side to find the house was well alight.

He said the flames were higher than the trees which were about 5m in height.

He went to phone 000 but no­ticed an­other per­son on the phone at the front of the res­i­dence.

The fire ser­vice ar­rived soon af­ter and quickly pre­vented any fur­ther dam­age.

It is be­lieved the home owner had only re­cently changed the bat­ter­ies which alerted her to the fire.

Bund­aberg Fire and Emer­gency Ser­vice sta­tion of­fi­cer Trevor Dun­can said it was im­por­tant to check bat­ter­ies as of­ten as once a week.

“The 30 sec­onds it takes to check the bat­tery in the fire alarm is go­ing to be a lot less time con­sum­ing then re­build­ing your home,” he said.

“If you must use can­dles in the home make sure you don’t leave them unat­tended, clear from com­bustibles and any­thing in the house which may catch fire.

“Se­cure it in a non-com­bustible con­tainer also.”

Mr Dun­can said the house fire was a good ex­am­ple of why it was im­por­tant to make sure the fire alarms are work­ing.

“Change the bat­ter­ies an­nu­ally, clean the smoke alarm and use good qual­ity bat­ter­ies,” he said.

The po­lice spokes­woman said the fire was be­lieved to be non-sus­pi­cious.

BLEAK SCENE: The in­side of a home dev­as­tated by fire.

ALARM: It’s be­lieved the owner of a Nelson St house de­stroyed by fire had only re­cently re­placed the bat­ter­ies in the smoke alarm that alerted her to the blaze.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.