Safety mat­ters the most

Isis Town and Country - - Opinion - Jay Field­ing jay.field­ing@apn.com.au

TO­DAY’S front page story is a timely re­minder of the need to be vig­i­lant about fire safety in your home.

Thank­fully the res­i­dent and her dog man­aged to es­cape the blaze which gut­ted her house.

But many oth­ers have not been so lucky.

The dan­gers of can­dles are well-known.

The Queens­land Fire and Emer­gency Ser­vice says can­dles and oil burn­ers should never be left alight when you leave home and should not be used near win­dows in case the flame comes into con­tact with cur­tains.

You should also ex­tin­guish can­dles be­fore you go to bed.

But can­dles aren’t the only dan­ger in the home, and it’s not only dur­ing win­ter when we use heaters and elec­tric blan­kets that we need to be aware.

Smok­ing, bar­be­cues and faulty ap­pli­ances can all cause fires.

Be­ing vig­i­lant about fire safety is also im­por­tant when you’re camp­ing and car­a­van­ning, some­thing many of us en­joy reg­u­larly in our beau­ti­ful re­gion.

And of course, we should all have work­ing smoke alarms in our houses, es­pe­cially near bed­rooms.

If you want to find out more, visit the QFES’s web­site at www.qfes.qld.gov.au.

It’s full of great safety in­for­ma­tion, and it may save you from the dev­as­ta­tion of a house fire – it may even save a life.

...can­dles aren’t the only dan­ger in the home, and it’s not only dur­ing win­ter when we use heaters and elec­tric blan­kets that we need to be aware.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.