Fuel warning after leak sparks alarm
LIGHTS were flashing on Churchill St last Thursday afternoon as fire crews attended reports of a fuel leak on the road.
Acting Childers fire captain Tim Bunn said it was a minor incident and the fuel was contained and cleaned up.
“The fire service were provided information from the general public of a fuel leak,” he said.
The source of the leak was traced back to the fuel tank of a four-wheel drive vehicle that had been filled moments earlier.
Mr Bunn said the car was removed from the scene and inspected by a mechanic, who detected a fault in the fuel tank system of the vehicle.
“Being a minor incident and no harm was caused, it’s a reminder not to over-fill your fuel tank,” Mr Bunn said.
“It is an easy mistake to make and many of us are guilty one time or another for doing the same.”
He said fuel was combustible and friction could cause it to ignite, so it was important all fuel spills were contained and cleaned up so they didn’t have long-lasting effects on the environment and public safety.
Mr Bunn said local firefighters had been busy in the past few weeks as the region had seen an increase in house fires, which was concerning in the lead-up to winter.
He said the fire service was urging locals to check all heaters and electric blankets before turning them on.
“Over the coming weeks, the fire service will be providing information and useful tips to get ready for winter.
“We will cover smoke detectors, fire blankets and what to do in an emergency,” Mr Bunn said.
“Remember to always call 000 and ensure your home has an emergency plan,” he said.
Tim Bunn, Childers firefighter No harm was cause (but) it’s a reminder not to over-fill your fuel tank.
CLEAN SWEEP: Queensland Fire Service Mopping up after a minor fuel leak on Churchill St Childers.