Bon­fire man sorry for star­tling noise

Joondalup Weekender - - News -

THE Two Rocks res­i­dent whose bon­fire caused a “boom” has apol­o­gised to those who heard it.

Bren­dan, who asked that his sur­name be with­held, con­tacted the Week­ender af­ter our re­port ran on­line about the Septem­ber 30 in­ci­dent.

“I’m in­cred­i­bly sorry for any scare that I caused; it scared me more than any­one else,” he said.

“The cause of the ex­plo­sion was a small amount of petrol poured into the fire pit.”

The Cin­na­mon Me­an­der res­i­dent said a 2L milk bot­tle of petrol was poured into the cen­tre of the pit, then a lit stick was thrown in.

“It didn’t take straight away (which) al­lowed gases to build up,” he said.

“The fire it­self was never an out-of-con­trol fire.

“Within half an hour, the fire had burnt it­self out.

“There was no dam­age to any homes; no one was in­jured.”

Res­i­dents in Two Rocks and Yanchep took to so­cial me­dia to spec­u­late about the cause of an ex­plo­sion heard about 8.30pm on Septem­ber 30.

The De­part­ment of Fire and Emer­gency Ser­vices con­firmed that the prop­erty owner had a per­mit to do a burn-off on Satur­day night.

The bush­fire sea­son of­fi­cially started on Sun­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.