Kalamunda Reporter - - Residential -

be noted in the prop­erty con­di­tion re­port, which has to be com­pleted by the land­lord when a ten­ancy agree­ment starts and fin­ishes.

As a ten­ant, you must keep the prop­erty rea­son­ably clean and you are ex­pected to hand it back in a sim­i­lar con­di­tion to when you moved in, tak­ing into ac­count nor­mal use – mean­ing fair wear and tear is ex­pected to oc­cur on fix­tures such as car­pets and cur­tains.

If there are any is­sues, then you should ask the land­lord if they in­tend to fix the prob­lems and make sure this is writ­ten into the ten­ancy agree­ment. It is a good idea to take pho­tos of the prop­erty be­fore you move in and when you move out.

Re­pairs are the land­lord’s re­spon­si­bil­ity but if you cause any ne­glect­ful dam­age then the land­lord can ask you to ar­range for, or pay for, re­pairs.

Land­lords do have a re­spon­si­bil­ity to re­spond to re­pair re­quests promptly. Set pro­ce­dures must be fol­lowed when deal­ing with ur­gent or non-ur­gent re­pairs but you must con­tinue to pay rent even while you are wait­ing for re­pairs to be com­pleted.

More in­for­ma­tion about your rental rights and re­spon­si­bil­i­ties is avail­able at www.con­sumer­pro­tec­tion.wa.gov.au.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.