Burns set to con­tinue

Kalamunda Reporter - - News -

ABOUT 216,000ha of bush has been cleared by pre­scribed burns since July 1 last year, the sec­ond year in a row the State Gov­ern­ment has ex­ceeded its tar­get of 200,000ha.

That marks the first time in 21 years the tar­get has been ex­ceeded two years run­ning.

De­spite reach­ing that mark, En­vi­ron­ment Min­is­ter Stephen Daw­son said there were no plans to stop.

“The depart­ment will con­tinue to un­der­take as much pre­scribed burn­ing as it can in the com­ing weeks, weather per­mit­ting and when safe to do so, as part of its shared re­spon­si­bil­ity in keep­ing com­mu­ni­ties safe," Mr Daw­son said.

Since July 1, 2017, about 130 burns have been held on land man­aged by the gov­ern­ment.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.