How to wash an iPhone
My iPhone 5c was left in a bag of shopping in a car boot. I was called away for longer than I expected. When I came back, a box of choc ices had melted and leaked all over the phone. I’ve cleaned off the worst of it and it still basically works, but there is dried-on ice cream stuck in the charger port and the headphone jack. Cleaning with a damp cotton bud isn’t good enough and I’m worried I will damage the electronics. Is it time for an upgrade? Jim Aston
If it’s just a question of removing gunk from your phone’s crevices, you needn’t replace it. You can safely wash your phone, provided you use an electrically insulating, non-corrosive solvent. There are organic solvents made specifically for cleaning electronics, such as this one http://bit.ly/1AijGEy (£16.80 per litre), which evaporates safely in the air, leaving no residue behind.
It’s probably best if you open the case before immersing it in the solvent, because it will make it easier to dry (YouTube will show you how). But if ice cream is only in a few crevices, it’s feasible to just clean them with a toothbrush dipped in the solvent, then leave it to dry for a few hours.
If your device is bunged up with gunk but still working, special solvents can clean it up.