Hunt is on af­ter bizarre death

McIvor Times - - FRONT PAGE -

HOMI­CIDE de­tec­tives are hunt­ing a young man fol­low­ing the bizarre death of a man in the main street of Heathcote on Sun­day night.

The dead man, be­lieved to be in his 40s and who re­cently moved to the area, was re­ported to po­lice by res­i­dents around 9.20pm af­ter he al­legedly was in­volved in a dis­tur­bance in High St near the Heathcote Fire Sta­tion.

Eye­wit­nesses re­ported he ap­peared to be alarmed and be­hav­ing er­rat­i­cally, com­plain­ing some­one was “af­ter him”.

He was bare­foot, ac­com­pa­nied by a dog and car­ry­ing a large torch.

Po­lice said the man ap­proached the for­mer BK’s Take­away shop, which opened un­der new own­er­ship as Ge­orge’s Take­away last week, where he al­legedly smashed the front door glass with the torch, though it is un­clear whether the ac­tion was de­lib­er­ate.

Po­lice also con­firmed the owner’s teenage son was in­jured dur­ing the in­ci­dent, later be­ing treated for bro­ken ribs.

A wit­ness told the McIvor Times by­standers at­tempted to re­strain the man when a lo­cal off-duty po­lice of­fi­cer ar­rived to as­sist, at which point the man be­came un­re­spon­sive and col­lapsed to the foot­path.

The of­fi­cer im­me­di­ately be­gan ad­min­is­ter­ing CPR.

Which is when the in­ci­dent took an in­cred­i­bly bizarre twist.

While the of­fi­cer and an­other by­stander were try­ing to re­vive the man, a young man ar­rived “out of nowhere” in a car and af­ter get­ting out of the ve­hi­cle pro­ceeded to at­tack the col­lapsed man by al­legedly kick­ing him.

The off-duty of­fi­cer grap­pled the at­tacker but then let him go, more con­cerned for the life of the col­lapsed man.

He was shout­ing at the at­tacker, warn­ing him he could face se­ri­ous charges, at which point the man jumped back into his car and drove off at high speed.

Paramedics ar­rived shortly af­ter and con­tin­ued the at­tempts to re­vive the man, but he died at the scene.

The man has been iden­ti­fied, but po­lice are in the process of no­ti­fy­ing his next of kin and will pre­pare a re­port for the Coro­ner.

Po­lice blocked the north-bound lane from Her­riot St to the take­away store un­til early Mon­day with the area be­tween the shop and the Union Ho­tel cor­doned off with po­lice tape un­til the man’s body could be re­moved by the coro­ner and the po­lice foren­sics team ar­rived on site.

Vic­to­ria Po­lice are con­duct­ing an in­ves­ti­ga­tion into the po­lice of­fi­cer’s role while the homi­cide in­ves­ti­ga­tion con­tin­ues.

The owner of the shop told me­dia he did not know the man, had never seen him be­fore but that he smashed his way into the shop.

Po­lice are ap­peal­ing for any wit­nesses to the in­ci­dent or who may have seen the man in the hours lead­ing up to his death to con­tact them on 5433 3711 or Crime Stop­pers on 1800 333 000.

Po­lice are in­ves­ti­gat­ing the death of a man in front of a take­away shop in Heathcote on Sun­day night.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.