Sticker of the week
If we aren’t meant to have midnight snacks, why is there a light in the fridge?
Did you know?
Ancient Greek mathematician Hero of Alexandria invented the first vending machine which dispensed holy water after you inserted a coin.
We were born of the same mother, on the same day, at the same hour and in the same year. Yet we are not twins. How do you explain this?
Seen on a sign for World Wines & Liquor during the first week of school term: “Welcome back teachers.”
Seen outside a Mexican food restaurant: “Mexican food so authentic Donald Trump would build a wall around it.”
Seen in an advertisement: “Betty Crocker Selected Fudge Brownie Mix 98c Original or Reduced Rat!”
Also seen in the advertising: “Dead Green Bananas, 3 lbs 99c.”
A word that isn’t actually a word but should be:
Toynami (n): The dense accumulation of your kids’ toys that threatens to take over your house.
1. Directed by Kathryn Bigelow, the 2012 film "Zero Dark Thirty" is about the hunt for which man? a. Osama Bin Laden, b. Mohammed Omar, c. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed or d. Saddam Hussain.
2. From which District does Katniss hail in the Hunger Games? a. 13, b. 12, c. 5 or d. 9.
3. What character does Denzel Washington play in the 2004 movie Man on Fire? a. Detective Alonzo Harris, b. John W Creasy, c. Doug Carlin or d. Robert McCall.
4. Which actor stars in the 2015 movie release The Martian? a. Tom Cruise, b. Denzel Washington, c. Mel Gibson or d. Matt Damon.
5. The 2016 movie release Deepwater Horizon is based on an actual tragic incident that occurred on an off-shore US oil rig in which year? a. 2010, b. 2006, c. 2000 or d. 1995.
Recipe of the week
Sultana Bran Banana Bread Ingredients: 2 large bananas 1 cup brown sugar Half cup desiccated coconut 80 grams butter 2 eggs 1 pinch salt 3 cups SR flour 1 tsp baking powder 1 cup Kelloggs Sultana Bran 1 dash cold milk Cinnamon and sugar (for sprinkling) Method: 1. Blend the bananas, sugar, coconut, butter and eggs in a food processor.
2. Add the flour and baking powder and mix.
3. Add enough cold milk to achieve a thick batter consistency.
4. Pour into a lined loaf tin and top with Kelloggs® Sultana Bran™.
5. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes at 160 degrees.
6. Once cool, slice the loaf and serve with churned butter.
A big spider travelled in style on a busy Melbourne train recently, claiming enough space to stretch out across six seats and may have been eyeing off another two as well. Fellow commuters, who unlike the spider had actually paid to use the service, were too scared to sit near the hairy arachnid and decided it was far safer to stand; in fact no one even got close enough to determine its exact size or species. It is not yet known if the spider disembarked from the train or if it has set up more permanent lodgings, opting for a more mobile style of living than its comrades.
The end of an era— Nicole Lunn, teacher Cheryl Morton, twins Tanya and Christine Banks, Brendan Craig and Shane Lunn are pictured here on the last day of school at Costerfield Primary School which rang its last bell and closed its doors for the final time on February 7, 1992.