Alleged carjacks spark warning
POLICE are urging motorists to be vigilant after several alleged carjacking incidents.
Glenorchy CIB’s Inspector Craig Joel said although carjackings were more common interstate, Tasmania was not immune. “Unfortunately two alleged incidents in as many months is a clear indication that we can’t be complacent,” he said. “Drivers are urged to lock their doors when travelling alone and be aware of your surrounds when parking in isolated or dark places.”
Two men have been charged with an attempted carjacking at Claremont.
Police allege the men approached the owner of a Ford Cougar sedan about midnight on Friday last week at the Claremont Village shopping centre. The two assailants demanded his car keys and assaulted him but left without the keys, police allege.
The men are also accused of breaking into the Claremont RSL on Bilton St on Tuesday and stealing alcohol.
A 34-year-old man, from Claremont, was charged with attempted aggravated carjacking, aggravated burglary, burglary and two counts of stealing.
A 28-year-old, also from Claremont, was charged with attempted aggravated carjacking, burglary and stealing.