Burn-offs gone wrong
LACK OF PERMITS A BURNING ISSUE
RESIDENTS are being urged to make sure they have the proper permits to burn off after a series of incidents in the eastern suburbs over the past week.
A Mundaring resident was fined $250 after telecommunication cables were destroyed in a fire outside the residents’ property. The resident responsible for burning the small pile of refuse in a gully will be liable to pay the communications provider the cost of repairs and prosecution under the Bushfires Act 1954 that could lead to a fine of up to $3000 and claims for damages.
Shire of Mundaring president David Lavell said the Shire became aware of the burn-off when the communications provider called to advise of damage affecting 10 to 15 properties in the area.
Cr Lavell said the incident highlighted the importance of burn-off regulations.
“In this instance, the resident’s failure to secure the proper permissions needed for a verge-side burn in addition to burning an oversized pile not only incurred an infringement from the Shire, but caused serious damage to underground communication cables for that street and surrounding streets,” he said.
Meanwhile Wooroloo Vol- unteer Bush Fire Brigade attended four call outs in two days caused by ‘escaped private property burns’, according to EASE WA.
Emergency Animal Support Evacuation WA founder Sam Murray-Whelan urged people with permits to take extra care in ensuring fires are out completely before leaving the scene unattended.
“It is a condition of your permit that fires must not be left unattended at any time whilst it is lit,” she said.
Ms Murray-Whelan also pointed out it is a legal requirement to notify Department of Fire and Emergency Services when using a fire permit to burn and courteous to inform neighbours.
In the City of Swan residents are not permitted to burn off without a permit as of April 1 with the restricted burning period to remain in place until May 31, 2017.
Deputy Mayor David Lucas said it was important for all residents to abide by the ban.
“Lighting fires on your property can be extremely dangerous, so having these burning restrictions in place helps to reduce the risk of bushfire,” he said.
“It’s really important that residents work together with the City to help protect their properties and neighbours against this risk.”
Ballajura ward councillor Maria Haynes said permits would be issued according to seasonal weather conditions.
“Permits will be issued at the discretion of the City’s fire control officers and if one cannot be issued, you may be provided with alternative advice on how to make your property fire-ready,” she said.
Residents living in rural areas can apply for a burning permit through their local bushfire brigade, and those in residential areas can apply through a City of Swan Community Safety Advocate.
Residents with properties smaller than 2000sq m will not be able to apply for a permit.