Time for action
With some workspace cleared, Keith can start on his 'bargain' buy.
Time to work on the Minis in my collection has been in preciously short supply in recent months. An overflowing order book at Calver ST, a new website under construction and issues with the day-to-day cars has kept me more than slightly entertained.
Karin's Clio has required a chunk of work to get it through the MoT test this time around, amounting to half the price we paid for the car originally. One revelation did occur though; fitting a new engine mounting has stopped the 'hunting' feeling of the engine at idle! The downside was more hints from Karin about having a Mini as her daily driver. This means tackling the last lemon I bought – the £1000 'just needs an MoT test' purchase.
Rewinding back to when I first unloaded it from the trailer, a misfire led me to look under the bonnet. That's when I saw the cooling fan was on backwards, and further investigation revealed no thermostat in the head. Typically folks remove thermostats to stop overheating, but this is not a good plan. It'll be overheating for a reason, so the cause needs sourcing and sorting. That was concerning, because the usual outcome once all else is checked or changed is a cracked cylinder head.
While moving this Mini about, I also noticed a long brake pedal, typical of rear brakes needing adjustment. So I whipped the wheels off to find the adjusters absolutely seized solid both sides. That means I'm now into a complete strip down of both rear hubs. So much for 'just needs an MoT test'.
Getting stuff done on cars has proved a problem due to a severe shortage of space, what with the garage at home filled with the GT racer, Clubby Estate, and Ol' Red, and the workshop full of motorbikes and a massive collection of car models and toys – the latter to accompany an engine and 'box build for a customer in Indonesia. These have all now gone and I've sold one of the bikes, so after a bit of a rearrange, I now have space to get the lemon inside.
The Clubby Estate is waiting patiently for me to sort its new power plant out and rebuild the hubs. I've started by stripping the hub and driveshaft assemblies from Ol' Red, as I think I am going to need to use at least the inner CV (pot) joints, and probably the outer CV joints, so I may as well use the whole assemblies to save messing about. If need be I can use the hub assemblies off Ol' Red as I know they were fine. The quickest solution is just to swap the entire hub and driveshaft assemblies over, but I want to know what the hub build condition on the Estate is. Having done that, if feasible a rebuild will make them good as new. Then all I need to do is complete the engine build (still haven't done the head!), dyno it and install it.
Poor old Newbie has been sat there for a LONG time...
Ol' Red's hubs and brakes are rusty, but the CVs and bearings are good.
I still can't decide what do about Newbie's dodgy cooling system.
Chiselled CV nut on the Clubby Estate is just the tip of the iceberg.