Af­ter two fast births, Adri­enne hoped she’d reach hos­pi­tal in time to de­liver her third bub

Mother & Baby (Australia) - - Contents -

Adri­enne’s third baby ar­rived in light­ning quick time!


At three days past my due date I was start­ing to feel anx­ious. I was no stranger to labour and child­birth, as my two older daugh­ters were born nat­u­rally, but it was the speed of those labours – four-and-a-half hours, then a mere 75 min­utes – that had me wor­ried. I had no de­sire to give birth on the kitchen floor.

I was also very ready for the preg­nancy to end. I’d spent the fi­nal months with a cough and cold that left me tired and lethar­gic. My legs were con­stantly cramp­ing, I couldn’t bear climb­ing the stairs in our home any­more, and every­thing – from get­ting dressed to cook­ing and clean­ing – was ex­haust­ing. I knew I’d need some en­ergy to get through labour, re­cover quickly and re­turn home to look af­ter my fam­ily.

So with pre-cooked meals for the fam­ily in the freezer, my bag packed, my hair washed and my par­ents stay­ing over for a week, I was ready. That night, 20 min­utes af­ter go­ing to bed, I sat up as a sharp pain spread through my pelvis, my lower back and the backs of my legs. I rolled over onto all fours. The first con­trac­tion! I re­mem­bered to breathe through the pain, and as it sub­sided I made a note of the time. Five min­utes later, as I was get­ting dressed, an­other con­trac­tion hit. There was no time to lose, so my hus­band rang the hos­pi­tal to tell them we were on our way.

My doc­tor ar­rived at the hos­pi­tal soon af­ter we did, and since I was fully di­lated she broke my wa­ters. The con­trac­tions im­me­di­ately sped up to ev­ery two min­utes. I tried a few puffs of gas and air, but it made me re­ally dizzy and did noth­ing for the pain. I wanted to be clear-headed, lu­cid and able to con­cen­trate.

I was sweaty, get­ting ex­hausted and could barely catch my breath as the con­trac­tions con­tin­ued 30 sec­onds apart. I could hear my baby’s heart­beat on the moniter and feel it kick­ing around in my tummy. I felt the over­whelm­ing urge to push, and my doc­tor said it was time.

I con­cen­trated on lis­ten­ing to that lit­tle heart­beat. On the sec­ond push, my baby’s head crowned. All my senses were height­ened; I could feel ev­ery move­ment of the baby’s kicks, all the drips of sweat and am­ni­otic fluid, the sounds were deaf­en­ing and the pain and heat shot through­out my whole body. Then, with one more mas­sive push, I felt the head and torso and legs and fluid all slide out of my body at once. We had an­other baby girl! The doc­tor put her up on my chest and asked me to push one more time to de­liver the pla­centa. I was ab­so­lutely elated and com­pletely smit­ten with my baby girl, so tiny, fresh and per­fect.

The next day, we moved from the hos­pi­tal to the ma­ter­nity ward at a nearby ho­tel, a pent­house oasis with king-size beds, large bath­rooms and a ded­i­cated mid­wife. We con­cen­trated on feed­ing and sleep­ing, and my older daugh­ters vis­ited ev­ery af­ter­noon, play­ing in the spa and or­der­ing from the room-ser­vice menu. But even though I loved my three nights there, I was happy to re­turn to my own messy home and the in­stant re­al­ity of life with three girls un­der four.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.