All About YOU
TAKE TIME OUT FOR YOURSELF WITH OUR INSPIRING IDEAS ON LIFE, LOVE, WORK AND HAVING FUN
Are you suffering from mum-somnia?
Being a mum means your sleep is frequently interrupted. Can you even remember the last time you had a full night’s rest?
A survey of 2300 Aussie mums has revealed that only 20 per cent of us claim to regularly receive a restful night’s sleep, while the remaining 80 per cent are interrupted with their children coming into the bedroom nightly. The mums surveyed also said that once they’ve settled their kids and are ready to head back to bed, nearly half of them take more than 30 minutes to drift off or don’t get back to sleep at all.
Dr Amy Reynolds, CQ-University researcher and Sealy Sleep Expert, says tiredness affects your mood and performance, and should be prioritised to keep on top of your health.
“Sleep doesn’t only impact our mental health – lack of sleep is also linked to weight gain, diabetes and heart disease,” she says.
One way mums can improve their sleep quality is to ensure their body is properly support by investing in a good quality mattress. Sleep and bedding expert at Sealy, Wade Genzer explains: “If your body isn’t supported in the right areas, such as the lower back, the brain engages the muscles instead of telling them to rest.” This is especially important for expectant mums, as they need to think about good support to accommodate their body as it changes shape throughout pregnancy.
And while sleep may not come easy, especially for new mums, try and get it where you can. A rested mum is a happy mum!