New reg­u­la­tions for con­trol­ling deer

Mt Buller News - - FRONT PAGE -

LANDOWN­ERS in the Mans­field - Mt Buller dis­trict can now con­trol prob­lem deer on their prop­er­ties with­out the need to ap­ply for a per­mit.

Agri­cul­ture and Food Se­cu­rity Min­is­ter Peter Walsh said a new or­der in­tro­duced un­der the Vic­to­rian Wildlife Act 1975 clears the way for re­mov­ing prob­lem deer on pri­vate prop­er­ties.

“Pre­vi­ously, deer caus­ing dam­age on pri­vate prop­erty could only be de­stroyed if landown­ers ap­plied for and re­ceived an Au­thor­ity to Con­trol Wildlife (ATCW), or if they en­gaged li­censed deer hunters,” Mr Walsh said.

“This ad­min­is­tra­tive bur­den of­ten de­layed con­trol and the new or­der re­moves that bur­den.”

The new Or­der also al­lows landown­ers to use a spot­light at night to de­stroy prob­lem deer, which is proven to be a very ef­fec­tive means of con­trol.

Sam­bar Deer, Fal­low Deer, Red Deer (in­clud­ing Wapiti), Sika Deer - Red Deer hy­brids, Rusa Deer and Chi­tal Deer are cov­ered un­der the or­der.

Hog Deer are not in­cluded due to their lim­ited range and sus­cep­ti­bil­ity to hunt­ing, so an ATCW will still be re­quired to con­trol them on pri­vate prop­erty.

Mr Walsh said deer can only be de­stroyed us­ing spec­i­fied firearm cal­i­bres and min­i­mum bul­let weights with an ap­pro­pri­ate li­cence.

“Only landown­ers on their own prop­er­ties, their man­agers, per­ma­nent em- ploy­ees or agents are able to de­stroy prob­lem deer un­der this Or­der.

“Any­one other than the landowner de­stroy­ing deer on a prop­erty must carry writ­ten per­mis­sion signed and dated by the landowner of that prop­erty.”

Per­mis­sion forms can be down­loaded at www.

Peo­ple want­ing t o hunt deer recre­ation­ally will still need to ob­tain a Game Li­cence and act in ac­cor­dance with ap­pli­ca­ble Reg­u­la­tions.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.