The origin of our resort’s name
Buller, an official in the Colonial Office in London.
There was a suggestion that Mitchell did this with a knighthood in mind, an honour he lobbied for after the trip.
So a little about Charles Buller….he was a well-educated Englishman born on August 6, 1806.
He attended Harrow School and later attended Trinity College at Cambridge University.
In 1830 he was elected a member of Britain’s House of Commons, retaining a seat in that Parliament until his death on November 29, 1848.
Buller was a busy man.
He also practised as a barrister and judge, and supported many reform measures, thus being regarded as a popular radical.
On August 18, 1868 Merrijig was first proclaimed as a village.
This was only seven years after the first land was selected in this newly opened up area following the introduction of the 1860 Land Selection Act.
It was at this time that families such as the Lovicks and Purcells first established roots in the area.
And they are still well-entrenched today.
William and Catherine Lovick first set up a hotel on the gold fields in Howqua, before later establishing the Hunt Club Hotel in Merrijig.
Although the exploits of bushrangers in the area drew plenty of attention, and the actions of miners seeking golden fortunes attracted headlines, early settlers gravitated to Mt Buller mainly for grazing opportunities.
From a tourism perspective, it was Frank Klingsporn who first set the path up the mountain.
He approached the Mansfield Council in 1913 to assist with widening the track, a route which ran from the junction of Buller Creek and the Delatite River up to Boggy Creek and Burnt Hut Spur.
Today it is still known as the Klingsporn Bridle Track.
THE PEAK: At the very peak of Mt Buller stands a summer fire watch tower and shelter.