Multiclass shows style and speed
THE Multiclass Championships have been part of the Victorian Interschools for the past five years.
School aged students with a physical or intellectual impairment have an opportunity to participate in the event.
Fourteen students from Rossbourne School, Ashwood, Currajong, and St Michaels took part in races on August 23 at Burnt Hut.
A snowsports pathway now exists for school leavers via Special Olympics and this year 11 athletes participated in the Victorian Championships at Burnt Hut also.
The Multiclass Sports Association co-ordinate the event as part of the Interschools to give athletes with a disability the opportunity to participate in competitive sporting activities and celebrate their achievements, thus enhancing their health, wellbeing, community inclusion and self-esteem through organised sport. The aims of the event are to:
promote acceptance and foster understanding and respect within the wider community by incorporating the Multiclass Snowsports event through inclusion as part of the mainstream Interschools event;
develop a greater sense of opportunity and inclusion for all within the Alpine community through a common love of skiing/boarding and achieve respect and recognition from their peers and the wider community;
provide an opportunity for students with special needs to demonstrate courage and compete safely and confidently against their peers in a race environment.
The event has a number of activities that work to meet the objectives outlined above including:
1. Safety Briefing at Ski Patrol. 2. Welcome Meeting at the Village Square.
3. Complementary Gear Hire provided by Black Mountain.
4. Opening Ceremony & Pizza at Uncle Pats.
5. Race Preparation Clinic – 2 days conducted by Disabled Wintersports Australia (DWA).
6. Event Dinner at the Ski Club of Victoria (this year 78 people attended where race bibs were presented to the 25 competitors).
7. Race Day assisted by DWA. 8. Medal Presentation.
CELEBRATIONS: 25 Multiclass athletes celebrating after the race with DWA coaches at Spurs.