Mum needs to know who drove when Jesse died
A GRIEF-STRICKEN mother has pleaded with three teenagers to own up to who was behind the wheel of the car in which her son died.
Jesse Smith (pictured), 18, was a passenger in the car that careered off Hollinsworth Rd, Marsden Park, and crashed into a pole on July 19, 2013.
He died at the scene. The car’s three other occupants left but were found by police a short distance away near Richmond Rd.
Outside the NSW Coroner’s Court on Monday, Mr Smith’s mother Kathy Bellamy, 48, from Mt Druitt, said she wanted the inquest to uncover who was driving.
One teenager, Hayden Gillett, told the inquest he was in the back seat with another friend while the third teen, whose name cannot be published for legal reasons, was the driver.
“I remember me waking up in the grass ... I didn’t even know where I was,” he said. “As soon as I realised (that Jesse was in the car), I went for my phone and it was dead flat.”
Police tested the car’s airbag for DNA, but the results were inconclusive.
Coronial advocate Senior Constable Erika Mulligan told the court Mr Smith’s seatbelt was not working at the time of the incident.
“The Commodore was being driven at such a speed that the telegraph pole ... broke off and was lying in the grass,” she said.
Snr-Constable Mulligan said there had been a 000 call before the crash about a blue Commodore driving fast and “doing burn outs” in the area about 11.10pm.
The matter will return to the court on June 30.