Contractor dies after freak drill incident
A MAN, 34, has choked to death in a freak worksite accident at Oakhurst on Friday morning.
The Berkeley man, believed to be a father-of-two, died about 9.30am after his clothing became trapped in a drill he was operating at the Florence St site.
Police said it is believed that when the man started the drill, his clothing became caught and he was dragged into the drill.
It appears the man choked as a result of his clothing being pulled tightly around his neck, police said.
The man was an environmental engineer subcontracted to work at the Blacktown Council construction site drilling for soil samples.
Fire and Rescue NSW and police responded to calls for help but the man could not be saved.
Visibly distraught workers left the site in tears.
A police forensic team and WorkCover officers spent hours examining the site and a report was be prepared for the Coroner. They have ruled out any foul play and have labelled the incident as a tragic accident.
The man’s body and his white ute were later removed from the scene.
Police have not released the man’s name but confirmed his family were notified soon after the accident.