Vic­tims of crime may gain com­pen­sa­tion

Mt Druitt - St Mary's Standard (East) - - NEWS - All copy pro­vided by Turner Free­man lawyers; turn­er­free­

ES­CA­LAT­ING al­co­hol and drug-fu­elled vi­o­lence has led to tough mea­sures be­ing in­tro­duced by the NSW Gov­ern­ment, in­clud­ing lock­outs for li­censed premises in the CBD and tough crim­i­nal penal­ties for a range of of­fences.

While tougher crim­i­nal mea­sures now ap­ply to per­pe­tra­tors of vi­o­lence, vic­tims of crime may also be en­ti­tled to make a civil claim for com­pen­sa­tion. For in­stance, a per­son who is the vic­tim of an as­sault on li­censed premises may have a le­gal case against the li­censee or op­er­a­tor of the ho­tel, or the se­cu­rity ser­vices con­trac­tor.

This may be the case where a ho­tel or club has failed to take rea­son­able steps to re­move some­one who is in­tox­i­cated or en­gaged in threat­en­ing be­hav­iour and they then com­mit an act of vi­o­lence.

Send your le­gal ques­tions to legal­help@turn­er­free­

Tune in to the Chris Smith Af­ter­noon Show on 2GB on Tues­days from 1.30pm where a spe­cial­ist lawyer will be avail­able to take your calls. ex­penses, ag­gra­vated dam­ages, and even ex­em­plary dam­ages to pun­ish the as­sailant and de­ter fu­ture vi­o­lence.

These cases re­quire that the as­sailant has suf­fi­cient as­sets to cover any awarded com­pen­sa­tion, and steps are taken to pre­vent them from dis­pos­ing of their as­sets dur­ing the course of lit­i­ga­tion.

Court pro­ceed­ings must also be started within three years of the as­sault.

If you have suf­fered an in­jury as the re­sult of al­co­hol or drug-fu­elled vi­o­lence, an ac­cred­ited per­sonal in­jury lawyer can iden­tify whether you may be en­ti­tled to make a claim.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.