ELIM­I­NATE THE GROWTH SPOTS

Mt Druitt - St Mary's Standard (East) - - HOME -

Mould can be re­moved with­out pro­fes­sional help but if it cov­ers a large area of your home, call in the ex­perts.

Clean­ing mould can be dan­ger­ous to your health. Al­ways wear pro­tec­tive cloth­ing and a mask.

If you are go­ing to clean mould your­self do not dry brush the area as this may re­lease mould spores into the air which can spread through­out the prop­erty.

Ar­eas af­fected by mould should be washed down with a so­lu­tion of 20 per cent wa­ter and 80 per cent white vine­gar (best used from a spray bot­tle). Clove oil has also been ef­fec­tive but it is po­tent so add only a lit­tle to a litre of wa­ter. Bleach has a high pH so it only whitens the mould spores rather than killing them.

When clean­ing walls/sur­faces a “two-bucket” ap­proach is most ef­fi­cient: use one bucket for rinse wa­ter and the other for the wa­ter/vine­gar so­lu­tion.

If car­pets, soft fur­nish­ings and other ab­sorbent items are af­fected by mould you may need to have them pro­fes­sion­ally cleaned. Some items will need to be dis­carded or re­placed.

There are prod­ucts to help the prob­lem. One is Rust-Oleum’s new Mould Stop primer paint. It is a wa­ter-based primer that can be used on non-por­ous in­te­rior and ex­te­rior sur­faces. Avail­able from Bun­nings and in­de­pen­dent paint stores, RRP $34.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.