Asbestos poses risk
WHEN I became Australia’s first Asbestos Awareness ambassador, I pledged my full support to this vital campaign to increase awareness of the dangers of asbestos.
Asbestos can be found in brick, weatherboard, clad and fibro homes, behind wall and floor tiles, under floorcoverings, in walls, ceilings, roofs, gutters and even dog kennels.
Sadly, current research tells us that people are unknowingly exposing themselves and their families to dangerous asbestos fibres during home renovations.
We hope to help save the lives of people like Mrs Carol Klintfalt, who tragically lost her battle with malignant mesothelioma on November 7, 2014.
I had the great honour of knowing Carol through our work in raising awareness of asbestos to homeowners, and the tragic consequences of renovating without knowing the risks of asbestos products which can be fatal.
Carol developed mesothelioma because she inhaled asbestos fibres while handling fibro sheets when renovating in the 1970s. Mesothelioma is a cancer that usually develops between 20-50 years after inhaling asbestos fibres. There is no cure and the average survival time after diagnosis is 10-12 months – hard hitting statistics none of us can ignore.
One in every three homes built or renovated before 1987 will contain asbestos products.
All Australians need to “Get to kNOw asbestos this NOvember” and visit asbestosawareness.com .au to learn about asbestos and how to manage it safely because it’s not worth the risk.
DON BURKE, Asbestos Awareness ambassador