Bad luck haunts week­end


Mt Druitt - St Mary's Standard (East) - - SPORT - Jil­lian McKee

The um­pire com­pletely missed the call and in the footage you can see this ...

– Sydney Blue Sox spokesman

AN on­slaught of ter­ri­ble weather was just the be­gin­ning of a string of bad luck - in­clud­ing an ejected man­ager - for the Sydney Blue Sox’s first home game at Black­town In­ter­na­tional Sportspark on the week­end.

Heavy rain saw the sold out “Mil­i­tary” round against Ade­laide Bite post­poned, with the teams set­tling to play a short­ened dou­ble header at the Rooty Hill ground on Sun­day. Ade­laide got off to a strong start, and af­ter a ques­tion­able call by the um­pire at third base, frus­tra­tion started to set in for the home side.

Sydney Blue Sox man­ager Ja­son Pospishil was ejected from the game af­ter an an­i­mated coach­ing protest, where he picked up the base and threw it over the fence and into the beer gar­den.

A spokesman from the Sydney Blue Sox said ten­sions were high af­ter the ini­tial four games were called off.

“The um­pire com­pletely missed the call and in the footage you can see this, he (Pospishil) is a pas­sion­ate guy and wanted to get the re­sult for the crowd,” he said.

“Ja­son was ejected from the first game, how­ever was able to come back for the sec­ond game in the af­ter­noon.”

De­spite Ade­laide Bite win­ning the first game 6-3 and the sec­ond 4-0, the Blue Sox were op­ti­mistic they could hit back be­fore the end of the sea­son.

“We have a lot of young guys who have been play­ing in Amer­ica.

“They are some of our best pitch­ers and will be re­turn­ing to play mid-De­cem­ber, just in time for the play­offs,” the spokesman said.

The Blue Sox are in fifth place on the lad­der and will now hit the road again for a four-game se­ries against reign­ing cham­pi­ons Perth Heat.


Ade­laide Bite's Lan­don Her­nan­dez is safe at home just beat­ing Blue Sox catcher Trent D'An­to­nio.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.