It is alleged playing with matches has had heartbreaking consequences for a young boy and his family at St Marys. About 12.30am on Tuesday, the boy was in his garage on Mamre Rd at St Marys. He was allegedly playing with matches, which ignited previously spilt petrol. The boy tried to extinguish the fire by stomping on it but his socks caught fire. He has removed the burning socks and attempted to extinguish the fire with water. He was taken to hospital by his mother, with minor burns to his hands and feet. Then about 3.20am, the boy’s father looked out the back to see the shed alight. Firefighters were called and extinguished the fire. As a result the shed was badly damaged and the remains of one of the family dogs were found.
Police are investigating a break and enter at Tregear on Monday. About 8.30pm, a 31-year-old woman, who was not at home, was contacted by a neighbour who heard noises coming from her Bransfield St address. The victim arrived home to find the contents of her garden shed ransacked and a number of items missing.