Ro­mance comes with hid­den risks

Mt Druitt - St Mary's Standard (East) - - NEWS -

VALEN­TINE’S Day is a time to cel­e­brate ro­mance, but some to­kens of love can spell disas­ter if they fall into the wrong paws.

Choco­lates con­tain chem­i­cals such as caf­feine and theo­bromine that are toxic to dogs and cats. The darker the choco­late, the more toxic it is.

The prob­lem is, while we may in­dulge re­spon­si­bly, the av­er­age puppy or dog won’t stop at one. I’ve seen dogs who have eaten whole boxes of choco­lates, in one mem­o­rable case sev­eral kilo­gram blocks.

And the wrap­ping doesn’t put them off; they can eat that, too.

Choco­late tox­i­c­ity can lead to vom­it­ing, di­ar­rhoea, seizures, coma and death.

While roses are non-toxic, other flow­ers such as lilies con­tain tox­ins that can cause life-threat­en­ing ill­ness. Cats in par­tic­u­lar are cu­ri­ous and may mouth or chew on flow­ers, but in­ges­tion of even a tiny part of some lily plants can cause ir-

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.