Di­vorce can be trau­matic but you need to get your fi­nances in or­der

Mt Druitt - St Mary's Standard (East) - - THE GOOD LIFE -

1. The big­gest as­sets to di­vide are the home and su­per­an­nu­a­tion. The Fam­ily Court web­site, fed­er­al­cir­cuit­court.gov.au can help cou­ples split su­per through a for­mal writ­ten agree­ment, con­sent or­der or if an ar­range­ment can­not be made, through a court or­der. 2. It’s im­por­tant to know where doc­u­ments re­lat­ing to home loans, bank ac­counts, su­per­an­nu­a­tion and in­sur­ance are lo­cated. 3. Seek help from a pro­fes­sional, such as an ac­coun­tant or fi­nan­cial plan­ner. 4. Treat it as an op­por­tu­nity to start afresh. Look at po­ten­tially sell­ing the fam­ily home and putting the pro­ceeds into su­per­an­nu­a­tion as a ve­hi­cle for in­come.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.