READY FOR NZ DEBUT
Third time lucky as former Comet prepares to line up for Kiwis against Australia
FORMER St Clair Comets rugby league player Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is finally set to make his international football debut next week.
The current Penrith Panthers first-grader, who can line up at fullback, wing and in the centres, was selected for the squad twice before but missed out due to injury and suspension.
Watene-Zelezniak suffered an ankle injury while training at the beach with the New Zealand squad in 2014.
And the following year he again was set to make his debut but was ruled out after being charged with a dangerous tackle on Sharks player Wade Graham.
With the game just days away, the 20-year-old is now hoping 2016 is his year.
New Zealand-born Watene-Zelezniak moved to Sydney when he was five.
He played his junior rugby league with the St Clair Comets before being selected to play for the Penrith Pan- thers in 2013 when he was just 18.
St Clair Comets secretary Bill Borg told The Standard that Watene-Zelezniak always was a standout player.
“He was one of our juniors for many years up until three or four years ago,” Borg said. “Dallin was always a class above everyone else on the field.
“Above all, he is just a lovely kid.
“He was picked last year but broke his ankle at the beach – the poor thing wasn’t even playing football when it happened.”
Watene-Zelezniak will take his place in the New Zealand side to take on Australia this Friday (May 6) at Hunter Stadium in Newcastle. Kick-off is at 7.50pm. Tickets: visit nrl.com.au or ticketmaster.com.au.
Dallin was always a class above everyone else Bill Borg
Mark Bridge gets physical with Bruce Kamau, of Adelaide United.