MOULD may thrive in hot and humid climates but that does not mean our houses are safe from it in winter.
No Germs founder Peter Ross says our tendency to keep our doors and windows shut in the cold weather can be a trigger for mould.
“Humidity and poor ventilation are the two main causes,” he says.
Using a gas heaters can also increase your chance of triggering an outbreak, even in other parts of the house.
“They expel moisture into the air which is pushed into the cool rooms,” Ross says.
The mould and bacteria removal organisation’s chief technician has helped fight the health hazard in thousands of residential properties since 2006.
“The most common in homes is the black mould,” Ross says. “Black mould itself is not harmful but it’s the toxins that it creates that cause the headaches, the running eyes and the sores.”
Ross says an inspection of the home is the first step to solving the problem.
“We don’t treat the mould until the source has been eliminated,” he says.
Once that has be sorted, the options for treatment depend on the severity of the mould. Ross says there are a lot of myths about the effectiveness of household clean- ers. “Bleach or chlorine does not kill mould, it restores the colour,” he says.
Vinegar can work in milder cases, provided it is used correctly. “You need to use four parts of naturally fermented white vinegar to one part water,” he says.
“Spray the affected area up to half a metre either side and all around it, leave it for 10 minutes, spray it again and then wipe it off.”
For more serious cases, Ross uses chlorine dioxide to fumigate the house.
“We gas the place, secure it, come back four hours later and ventilate the premises,” he says. Find more information at nogerms.com.au