ADI site ready for revamp
Council reviews submissions regarding 95ha ahead of endorsing amended plans
AMENDED plans to develop a massive block of former defence land at St Marys to deliver 1400 houses will soon be on the way to Penrith Council.
The public exhibition of plans for the 95ha site has ended and council officers are now examining 13 submissions.
“Officers are addressing the issues raised in submissions in consultation with stakeholders,” a council spokesman said.
“It is intended that the proposed amendment will then be considered for endorsement by council.”
The former Australian Defence Industries site will become home to some 4300 residents and will also create up to 760 jobs.
Council adopted the St Marys Release Area Central Precinct Plan in 2009.
It applies to all land with- in the Central Precinct, located east of Jordan Springs, and provides guidance and statutory controls for development.
The council’s “new vision” for the precinct aimed to provide a “more contemporary” layout.
The main changes sought were relocating the village centre and reconfiguration of roads and open space.
The ADI site was acquired by the Commonwealth Government from 1941 to 1943 for the production and storage of munitions.
The factory was closed and some land in St Marys was sold in 1946, but the Korean War created a need for a new factory (completed in 1957); this facility was closed in 1995.
The site was transferred to ADI in 1989 then, in late 1990, ADI sought a rezoning from Penrith and Blacktown councils.
Officers are addressing the issues raised in submissions PENRITH COUNCIL SPOKESMAN