Mt Druitt - St Mary's Standard (East) - - NEWS -

JOHN Har­ris was born in 1754 in Money­more, County Lon­don­derry, Ire­land, to John and Anne Har­ris. Af­ter ar­riv­ing in Aus­tralia in 1790, he be­came a sur­geon, pub­lic ser­vant and land­holder. In 1817, he was granted about 600ha near South Creek which he named Shanes Park. Shane is the Ir­ish name for John and it is be­lieved he named the es­tate af­ter him­self. When he died in 1838, Mr Har­ris left the es­tate to nephew John Har­ris and in­structed it be passed down to fu­ture heirs also bear­ing the name John Har­ris.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.