Other things to con­sider

New Zealand Classic Car - - Feature -

If the ve­hi­cle you im­ported or pur­chased has been mod­i­fied in any way, it will re­quire a Low Vol­ume Cer­tifi­cate (cert) plate. The best idea is to take the ve­hi­cle into the com­pli­ance cen­tre first. This will see the car re­ceive a VIN. The in­spec­tion will take place as usual; how­ever, the car will fail on need­ing a cert. Most com­pli­ance cen­tres deal with cer­ti­fiers all the time, so they will be able to ar­range for one to come and check out the ve­hi­cle. How­ever, if your ve­hi­cle fails its VIN, be­cause it re­quires a cert or any­thing else, you will only have 21 work­ing days to make changes and get it rechecked. If you do not make the re­quired re­pairs in this time frame, the car will need an­other in­spec­tion, re­sult­ing in more cost to you, the ve­hi­cle owner. Es­pe­cially with older cars, prob­lems can arise when you need to source hard-to-ob­tain parts that can’t be found and fit­ted to the car within that pe­riod. The only way around the 21-day time frame is if the ve­hi­cle re­mains, and the parts are fit­ted, at the com­pli­ance cen­tre. It may seem as if it is try­ing to make money by of­fer­ing to un­der­take re­pairs, but hav­ing the com­pli­ance cen­tre un­der­take the work is of­ten the smart way to do it, although not ev­ery com­pli­ance cen­tre of­fers this ser­vice.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.